Friday, February 13, 2015

Just Call Me Rapunzel - I've got a Dream

For the past 24 hours, I've been singing "I've Got A Dream" from Rapunzel. The looping anthem comes on the heels of jumping head first into becoming a Rodan + Fields consultant.

No, R+F isn't my dream job (at least I don't think it is), but I'm hoping it will help me continue along the path toward my dream job. I look at it as today's version of waiting tables while trying to make it to the big time in New York City or Los Angeles.

When I left my digital media position with the Detroit Lions, I was hoping to branch out on my own to represent individual players in marketing and PR. Today -- 15 days shy of my last day with the Lions -- I have had the pleasure of working with Tahir Whitehead and his wife, Shannon, throughout his first season as an NFL starter.

Tara (my business partner, best friend and overall partner in crime) and I have helped Tahir reward Detroit high school students for achievements in the classroom, give Thanksgiving meals to members of the Detroit community, read to second-grade kids, and support the Downtown Boxing Gym - a nonprofit academic program in Detroit.

I am looking forward to growing that relationship further this summer as we put together a big event for him in his hometown of Newark, NJ.

At the same time, I am looking forward to growing a passion of mine that I have had since I was a little girl: writing.

With three kids under five, my setup would look a tad different
... but the concept would be the same.
There is a part of me that would love to have Carrie Bradshaw's life, sitting in a one-bedroom apartment, sipping coffee and writing about whatever strikes my fancy.

In my case, however, it wouldn't be a one-bedroom apartment, but one actual bedroom ... preferably with a lock to keep away children begging to sit on my bed and watch Caillou.

From the time I could write, I wrote. I have stories written on 80s computer paper, stories I typed on my grandfather's brick of a typewriter and "newspapers" I typed out for subscribers on my block. It actually blows me away to see that I took it upon myself to produce a one-page newspaper, had my mom make copies at her office, and then delivered these papers to neighbors willing to appease me.

I have always loved to tell a good story to spark laughter, spark emotion, spark deep thought or critical thinking. Writing was the first career I wanted. First novels, then sports writing. I only shifted to PR because I didn't want to antagonize the team.

So now ... back to Rapunzel. I've got a dream.

My dream? To fund my career pursuit of becoming a Carrie-Samantha hybrid (my fellow Sex and the City fans will understand this reference) by "waiting tables" (aka selling skin products).

I'm actually most looking forward to using the skin products myself. Anti-aging? Yes please. Combating sensitive skin? Yes please. Sunless tanner? Those blinded by my skin give a resounding 'yes please.'

So, for those of you who live near me, let me know if you'd like to be a part of the posh party I will be throwing to kick off my new endeavor.

The key? There will be wine (and craft beer ... because it's me).

Also keep in mind that I am willing to name characters in my first novel after those who make purchases. So let me know if you're willing to block off a spot in your calendar to come over and be entertained by yours truly while sipping on tasty beverages.

Now ... I'll leave you with this:

2 comments:

  1. I'm signing on for the wine. But I'm proud of you for pursuing your dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can maintain your youthful glow. Just sayin'.

      Delete